Today’s leaders need the ability to address complex challenges in new and innovative ways, while showing sincere empathy and compassion. According to the Businessolver Workplace Empathy Monitor survey, 80% of employees would be willing to work longer hours for an employer they view as empathetic.
MEANING OF EMPATHY:
According to the Cambridge Dictionary, empathy is: “the ability to share someone else’s feelings or experiences by imagining what it would be like to be in that person’s situation.” Put simply, it’s a way to understand and feel another person’s emotions.
HOW TO PRACTICE EMPATHY:
• Make appropriate eye contact
• Listen without interrupting.
• Read posture and body language
• Acknowledge the other person's perspective
• Ask the other person to further explain their position
• Match the tone and volume of the person
• Open up about yourself and show vulnerability
• Show patience and express yourself calmly
• Cultivate a culture of compassion at workplace
• Watch for signs of burnout in colleagues
• Show sincere interest in the needs, hopes, and dreams of other people
BENEFITS OF PRACTICING EMPATHY AT WORKPLACE:
• Boosts Collaboration
• Improves Cultural Competence
• Better Customer Satisfaction
• Boosts Creative Thinking
• Encourages Leadership to Understand Poor Performance Better
Encouraging each one of us to be empathetic towards others and your own selves.
MINDFULNESS TOOL KIT AT YOUR WORKPLACE
In the current volatile environment where organizations and companies are rambling to deal with uncertainty, an age old practice of Mindfulness has come to rescue.
Meaning of MINDFULNESS:
Whenever you bring awareness to the present moment without any attached feelings of fear or judgement.
How to practice MINDFULNESS:
1. Start the day with a few moments of "conscious awareness' of your breath
2. Practice active listening
3. Notice your body language
4. Watch the tone and language in your communications.
5. Let your judgments roll and pass.
6. Take time out when stressed
8. Return to observing the present moment as it is
9. Pause to say ‘Thank You’
Benefits of MINDFULNESS:
•Greater sense of wellbeing
•Improved ability to remain task-focussed
• Better equipped to cope with stress
• Awareness of mental roadblocks
• More cohesive team environment